hellogoodgaby

reading and wishing

My name is Gaby, I'm 21 and from Miami. I'm an english major who loves to read (duh!)

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Requiem
Lauren Oliver
Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver 4.5/5 I wasn't expecting to like this book so much! I was excited, yes, but sequels often disappoint and I was expecting a boring, in-between book. Not at all! This is, in my opinion, even better than the first part! The chapters are written in past/present where the past is right where Delirium leaves us, with Lena escaping to the Wild. The present is Lena a couple of months ahead, living in New York and being kind of a double agent for the resistance. What I like most about this book is how much Lena grows. Gone is the sweet, naive girl from the first book. That girl is dead and buried somewhere in the outskirts of Portland. The new Lena is full of anger and grief, she's snappy and bitter and fierce. She doesn't wallow in self pity, she survives. Honestly, I like her all the better for it. I also loved the new characters that Lena meets in the Wild, like Raven and Tack, who are people with rough edges, they're tough and hard working but they're real. This book is all in all very different from Delirium, it has way more action and adventure. For me, it flew by, to the point where I didn't even realize that I had finished it and kept trying to go on to the next page! The ending is also something else. I literally had to put the book down and take a moment to scream because it was such a cliffhanger. Be prepared to hate the author for leaving us like this until Requiem comes out. I only had two bones to pick with this book.1. When I was in 9th grade, I fell in love with the Uglies books. They were my first dystopian books and I loved them. If I read them now, I don't think I would like them as much but at the time they were some of my favorites. I can't help but see a lot of similarities between those books and these. I'm not trying to imply that the author ripped off the idea from those books, not at all. But the whole time I was reading this book I couldn't escape the feeling that I had already read this before. It's a bit disappointing. The more I thought about it, the more I felt like David = Alex and the whole Wilds/The Smoke thing is pretty much the same in both books. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't shake the thought. And there's another similarity that I'll address in point number 2.2. Okay I can't address this without heavy spoilers so beware. I hate, hate, hate love triangles. I am sick of love triangles in every series now a days. Do writers no longer know how to keep a readers interest without subjecting them to a terrible love triangle? Honestly. I could do without it. The new guy, Julian, is alright, but we all know she's going to end up with Alex (who, I guess everyone knows, didn't die) in the end. So why bother? He's never going to compare. And if her love for Alex was so great, how could she move on so soon? I just am dying to read a good series that doesn't have to fall to that cliche. Most of the time it isn't even done well. This is also ANOTHER thing that just reminds me of Pretties, when Tally gets with Zane?